Directions: For this part you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay entitled My View on University Ranking. You should write at least 150 words following the outline given below.
My View on University Ranking
There is no denying the fact that it has become a prevailing trend for some individuals or organizations to rank universities. Taking a look around, we can find examples too many to list. To this phenomenon people’s attitudes differ sharply.
Some hold the positive view. They claim that ranking universities can help high school graduates or their parents to make a sound choice when enrolling in a university or college. Besides, this practice can help promote the level of higher education as a whole in that many universities will exert efforts to elevate their position.
Others, however, hold the opposite view. They point out that the result of ranking is not always credible, for many individuals or institutions do it merely for the purpose of colleting money. Furthermore, some universities overemphasize the result of ranking and waste large amounts of resources.
Personally, I believe that we should not go to extremes. On the one hand, it must be admitted that ranking is an effective means to encourage universities or colleges to compete with each other and improve their work. On the other hand, it should not be conducted and used in the wrong way.
1. A）not be sustained in the long term
2. B）Intergenerational conflicts will intensify
3. D）politicians are afraid of losing votes in the next election
4. A）allow people to work longer
5. D）younger workers are readily available
6. B）large numbers of immigrants from overseas
7. B）They find it hard to balance career and family
8. take risks
9. have families
10. military service
11. A The man is the manager of the apartment building
12. B How the pictures will turn out.
13. C The suitcase can be fixed in time.
14. B He needs a vehicle to be used in harsh weather.
15. A She has made up her mind to resign.
16. D Replace the shirt with one of some other material.
17. D At a “Lost and Found”
18. C Convert in into a hotel
19. D Careful plotting and clueing.
20. D To be entirely alone.
21. C They look at the world in a detached manner.
22. B Like it or not, you have to use them.
23. D The monopoly of British Railways.
24. B Competition from other modes of transport.
25. D They lose a lot of money.
26. C Many coastal cities will be covered with water.
27. B How unstable the West Antarctic ice sheet is.
28. A It collapsed at least once during the past 1.3 million years.
29. A The West Antarctic region was once a open ocean.
30 B Whether a deleted photo is immediately removed from the web.
31 B The way they store data.
32 C When the URL is reused.
45. Students with high hope set themselves higher goals and know how to work to attain them,
46. went beyond the simple notion that hope is merely the sense that everything will turn out all right.
47. Having hope means believing you have both the will and the way to accomplish your goals, whatever they may be.